India launched its pilot Authorized Economic Operators Program (AEO) in August 2011 in harmony with the SAFE Framework developed by the World Customs Organization (WCO). India's Customs administration developed and AEO Program that includes various members on the international supply chain such as imporers,exporters ,owners, custom brokers, forwarders and carriers.
The objective of the AEO Program is to provide businesses with an internationally recognized quality mark indicating their cimmitment to security in the international supply chai. Those certidfied are also required to ensure that their custom procedures are efficient and compliant. Entities that recieve an AEO status are considered as 'Secure' and reliable trading partner
- MICT has undergone the complete certification Audit and the certification was granted
- Inclusion of stringent requirements regarding business partner security, procedural security
- Inclusion of authorized couriers and custodians in the AEO Program
- Automatic disqualification on non-furnishing of the information by the applicant
- Non-requirement of the compliance records of advocates directly employed by the applicant
- Outreach of AEO Program by organizing workshops etc.
- The time limit of 90 days should be reckoned from the date of furnishing of complete information
- Regarding security seals, in case it is not possible to procure and use PAS / ISO 17712 seals for air consignments / courier consignments any international seal compatible with standards of PAS / ISO 17712 may be used. However, in case of maritime containerized cargo only PAS / ISO 17712 seals shall be used. The officers carrying out validations under AEO Programme should carefully ascertain this aspect
- AEO Custodians shall be given the benifit of waiver of bank guarantee required under hadning of cargo in Customs Area Regulation 2009
- AEO Custodians shall be given the facility of extension of approval under regulation 10(2) of the handling of cargo in Customs Area Regulation 2009 for longer period of ten years at a time
- The benefits may also include simplified customs procedure, decalraions, etc. besides faster custom clearance of consignments of/for AEO status holders